Code EnforcementThe City of Phenix City Building Department covers the Phenix City Limits and its Police Jurisdiction. The Police Jurisdiction is a one and half (1.5) mile area outside of the City Limits in Russell County. Although we have property annexed into Phenix City that is located in Lee County and we abut the Lee County line, there is no police jurisdiction in Lee County. The primary functions of the Phenix City Building Department are as follows:
- Review of all residential and commercial plans of new construction and alterations to an existing structure for code compliance.
- Issue permits for Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Gas Fitting, HVAC/Mechanical, Certificates of Occupancy, Swimming Pools, Demolition, Signs, and House Moving.
- Field inspections on permits to ensure code compliance.
- Property Maintenance/Condemnation of structures
- Environmental Issues – Junk cars, Weeds, etc.
- Enforce local Ordinances/Codes
- Business License Enforcement
- Zoning – type, special exceptions, variances, Zoning Ordinance
Current Code Editions
- 2006 International Building Code
- 2006 International Residential Code
- 2006 International Plumbing Code
- 2006 International Mechanical Code
- 2006 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2006 International Fire Code
- 2006 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2008 National Electrical Code