Fire Department

Mission Statement:
Phenix City Fire Rescue is citizen oriented to protect life and property and provide emergency service to the community through:

  • A highly trained professional work force
  • Modern technology and equipment
  • Fire inspection and prevention activities
  • Aggressive fire and safety education program
  • In an efficient and professional manner.

History:
The City of Phenix City Fire Department was a volunteer unit until the 1940ís. Chief John L. Newsome was the first Fire Chief in 1931 and served until 1967. In the 1940ís there were six paid fire fighters to fight fires in the city. Today there are 65 full time personnel in the department. Fire station 4 at 1300 Airport Road is named in honor of Chief Newsome.

Fire Stations

For Emergencies - Dial 911
Fire Station # 1
1910 Crawford Road
Phenix City, Al 36867
334-291-4716
334-291-4715 Battalion Chief
Fire Station # 3
510 South Seale Road
Phenix City, Al 36869
334-291-4717
Fire Station # 4 (John L. Newsome)
1300 Airport Road
Phenix City, Al 36867
334-291-4718
Fire & Rescue Administration Building
1111 Broad Street
Phenix City, Al 36867
334-448-2817

Many great Fire Chiefs have had the opportunity to serve this community.

  • John L. Newsome 1931 - 1967
  • Bud Montgomery 1967 - 1983
  • Jerry Prater 1983 - 1991
  • Solomon Denard 1991 - 1997
  • Ronnie Blankenship 1997 - 2001
  • Jerry Prater 2001 - 2005
  • Wallace Hunter 2005 - 2010
  • Kristin H. Kennedy 2010 - Present
Through the years, Phenix Cityís need for fire protection increased and 3 fire stations were constructed. There locations are: 1300 Airport Road, Fire Station 4, (John L. Newsome) on the north part of the city, which was constructed in 1971 and currently serving that part of the city.

Fire Station 2 was located in the 900 block of South Rail Road Street. This station was relocated to better serve the community. This area of town is now protected by Fire Station 1. Station 1 was located at 1803 Crawford Road in the central part of the city. Station 1 served the community until 1999 when it was relocated across the street to 1910 Crawford Road. Fire Station 3 was located at 511 Seale Road North to serve the Southern part of the city. Station 3 was used until the year 2000 when it was relocated to 510 South Seale Rd. to better serve the community.

Personnel (as of 09.20.11):

  • Kristin Kennedy, Fire Chief
  • Mitchell Hutchinson, Assistant Fire Chief
  • Francine Shaw, Administrative Assistant
  • Kris Kennedy, Battalion Chief, Fire Marshal, Prevention, Inspections and Investigations
  • Robert Schwoebel, Captain, Inspector, Prevention, Inspections and Investigations
  • Marc Wells, Captain, Inspector, Prevention, Inspections and Investigations
  • Bobby Brooks, Battalion Chief, Training Division
  • Tommy Cox, Captain, Training Division
  • Richard Hamby, Captain, Training Division
  • William Czukor, Battalion Chief, Suppression
  • Mickeal Hanson, Battalion Chief, Suppression
  • James Jackson, Battalion Chief, Suppression
  • Suppression Captains 9
  • Sergeants, Driver / Engineers 15
  • Fire Fighters 27
  • Hydrant Technician 1

Fire Apparatus:

  • Engines (pumpers) 4
  • Aerial Ladder Platform 1
  • Aerial Ladder Quint 1
  • Command Vehicle 1
  • Rescue Vehicles 3
  • Support / Utility vehicles 6